DA’s Sunday Morning Medicine
Sunday Morning Medicine is a feature from Dancing Astronaut dedicated to the mellower side of electronic music. We bring you our favorite therapeutic selections — old and new — in an attempt to alleviate the agonizing effects of a long weekend of partying.
This week’s SMM touches on a wide range of genres – dubstep, house, deep house, and even trap. We begin your Sunday morning with Adventure Club‘s “Wonder,” a tearjerker of a song that is very unlike the Canadian dubstep duo. Slowly transitioning into Parra for Cuva’s deep house lullaby, “Wicked Games,” we also present to you TOKiMonsta, Baauer, and even Kaskade/Late Night Alumni. Although most of these tracks are on the older side, we felt this collection would suit your Sunday Funday well.
1. Falling beneath the shadows of more upbeat tracks like “Gold” and “Thunderclap,” Adventure Club’s “Wonder” takes a few steps back from their heavier dubstep, focusing mainly on soft melody and The Kite String Tangle’s vocals.
2. Parra for Cuva’s “Wicked Games,” released on Spinnin’ Deep, is about the cycle of falling in love, getting hurt, and falling out of love. Anna Naklab’s deeper vocals sooth listeners’ ears in tandem with a sweet, sensual beat.
3. Trap in the morning? We think yes. TOKiMONSTA’s “Clean Slate” may be set at a faster pace, but it will help you find the courage to finally leave your bed and get some fresh air.
4. Winter is almost upon us, and Baauer’s slow and sexy remix of “Winter Is All Over You” is quite fitting for the weather outside.
5. Becky Jean Williams has one of the most beautiful voices we’ve heard, so much so that listening to this deep house cover of an old Christmas tune makes us want to wrap ourselves in blankets and roast chestnuts by the open fire.