DA’s Sunday Morning Medicine: Volume 83, Deep House Edition
Sunday Morning Medicine is a feature from Dancing Astronaut dedicated to the mellower side of electronic music. We bring you our favorite therapeutic selections — old and new — in an attempt to alleviate any agonizing effects that a long weekend of partying might have incurred.
There’s a lot of talk today about what ‘real’ deep house is. Admittedly, there’s a lot of mislabeling going around with sub-genres like UK bass and g-house exploding in popularity. At the end of the day, it’s really just semantics. With that said, we couldn’t help but highlight some of our favorite contemporary deep house productions.
1. If you don’t recognize this one by name, odds are you’ve heard it somewhere, from an Ibiza dayclub to a live set from Carl Cox, Luciano, or Chus & Ceballos. Those steel drums are unmistakable.
2. Hernan Cattaneo has created something special in his techno and deep house label Sudbeat, and Doomwork is one of its most prized possessions.
3. Believe it or not, I snagged this gem from techno queen Nicole Moudaber. Darin Epsilon’s remix of Antrim’s “Free Spirit” is as carefree and liberating as its name implies.
4. Henry Saiz has the magic touch that quite literally takes tracks to the fantasy realm. His take on “Moon Observations” is, as usual, an imaginative journey from start to finish.
5. And of course, what would a Sunday Morning Medicine be without a stellar cut from Anjunadeep? Cubicolor are one of the label’s most promising talents and “Still Linger In My Dreams” will show you why.