Afrojack, Avicii, and David Guetta sat down for a Q&A with the Wall Street Journal
Dance music’s upward trajectory has garnered a wave of attention from media outlets over the years, from news stations, to fashion magazines, soda commercials, and many more cultural outlets. The Wall Street Journal recently sat down for a Q&A with three of EDM’s most influential artists: David Guetta, Afrojack, and Avicii. Although the three have been interviewed multiple times and fans know their personalities fairly well, the article sheds a new light on these recognizable figures that fans might have not seen before. Beginning with a quick bio of each artist before delving into the questions, Afrojack, Avicii, and David Guetta give their favorite museums, restaurants while on the road, fashion tastes, and much more. Here are the top five fun facts we learned about three of EDMs biggest stars from the Q&A:
1. Nick Van de Wall is an avid car collector with a Rolls-Royce Ghost and an Audi Q7 amongst his garage of high-class, road toys.
2. On the road, a travel essential for Afrojack is a water bottle. The vital liquid is the key to crafting his most banging big room tracks.
3. Daniel Craig might have a doppelgänger in the future. Afrojack looks to James Bond as a fashion icon and he intends to dress like the suave secret agent everyday at some point in his life. A Casino Royale remake coming soon?
4. One of his most prized possessions is his pair of custom Yeezy Red October kicks that cannot be Googled or found in pictures. He’s serious when it comes to his shoes.
5. Finally, the Dutch powerhouse’s favorite piece of artwork that directly influenced his success is Nighthawks by Edward Hopper – a famous oil on canvas piece of a midnight diner.
1. The Swedish house pioneer has a sophisticated palate and loves the diverse flavors at the restaurant D.O.M. in San Paolo.
2. It’s no secret that Avicii had to steer away from alcohol due to past health complications, but he has found a new liquid to fuel his creative juices. Burn energy drink is a main ingredient to Tim Bergling’s hectic lifestyle as one of progressive house’s most influential pioneers.
3. Avicii is also an avid reader of the Game of Thrones series and claims they are “so much better than the TV show” – which we can’t refute.
4. It’s no surprise that when asked his travel essential, he responded with his MacBook Pro. With the amount of flights and car rides, producing on the road is a norm for artists these days.
5. Fans will want to look out for a new dog on Avicii’s social media pages because he plans on getting a Puli and naming him Doobie after his ex-girlfriend took his last pet. Not cool ex-girlfriend.
1. The radio crossover king, David Guetta, is known for his slick appearance, and he attributes his own style to Steve McQueen, citing him as a fashion inspiration.
2. Greek and Canadian fans will be happy to know that the French superstar names Roca Cookery in Mykonos and Queue de Cheval in Montreal as his favorite restaurants. Considering the man has been to almost every corner of the world touring, we’ll take his word for it.
3. After touring the world majority of the year for more than a decade, David Guetta has undeniably stayed at the world’s most upscale hotels. The Siam in Bangkok tops the list but Ibiza will always a special place in his heart.
4. When asked of the best concert he’s seen recently, Die Antwood was the not answer most would expect. I guess the progressive-pop producer has an edgier side we didn’t know about.
5. For anybody in need of a good read, Guetta recommends The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry – a story of love, friendship, and remorse told by a fellow Frenchman.