10 things we learned from Mat Zo’s Reddit AMA
2016 has been a momentous year for the brilliant and multi-faceted producer that is Mat Zo. In the span of 9 months, he’s launched a forum for aspiring producers, conquered the sophomore album slump with Self Assemble, and signed The M Machine onto his Mad Zoo imprint for their upcoming album release. His momentum is hardly slowing down as the year comes to a close — Zo recently unveiled his 3-piece Mad EP, which serves as yet another eclectic and intelligently-written addition to his vast repertoire.
Having just kicked off his fall tour across North America, he donated some personal time with fans in the form of a Reddit AMA. Having combed the list of questions, we’ve compiled 10 things we learned from Mat Zo’s AMA.
- The M Machine album will likely see a release next year. Hopefully more Kill The Zo as well.
2. There is definitely potential for another Porter Robinson collaboration. However, a new Arty collaboration is widely unlikely.
3. Mat Zo is a huge Noisia fan, and dreams of a collaboration with them when he’s ready musically to do so.
4. Making 4/4 music is becoming increasingly difficult creatively, as he continues to delve deeper into a left-field, drum ‘n’ bass type of direction.
5. Interestingly, Mat Zo feels inspired to write tracks that contrast with his inner emotions.
6. He ended his Mat Zo Mix series due to creative exhaustion.
7. When feeling stuck, he steps away to refresh his mind rather than trying to force new musical ideas into his head.
8. As far as plugins go, he believes Izotope and Fab Filter deserve more attention.
9. Ironically, one of the best things to happen to him was having his music stolen.
10. He’s given actual thought to the “Mad Zoo” concept.