11 things we learned from Wolfgang Gartner’s recent Reddit AMA
Wolfgang Gartner rose from the ashes with his new Medicine EP that showcased his original, complex-electro style with modern day bass house elements. The veteran EDM producer stopped by Reddit to allow users to ask him whatever’s on their minds. A lot of users wondered about production techniques, collaborations/inspirations, and more intimate facts about the man behind the music. Below are 13 things learned from the event.
1) Wolfgang and Skrillex have had major impacts on each other’s sounds throughout their careers. He even got a sneak peek at the watershed Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites. Wolfgang would even follow up on “Devil’s Den” if the opportunity presented itself.
2) JOYRYDE is one of Gartner’s biggest inspirations as of late, which helped him rise from his musical slump.
3) Jaykode made appearances in the AMA, showing love to his friend and collaborator. Gartner describes why the two collaborate so well together, noting that they use a similar, unique chord structure in their productions.
4) He has a grip of new music in the works. While he has as many as 10 new tracks in the can, even after the release of his recent Medicine EP, another full-length album from Wolfgang in the future seems unlikely.
6) The complextro deity delves into his writing process, revealing that his method relies on the drums in his productions to guide his melodies. He also reveals his favorite hardware of the moment.
7) Wolfgang reveals his career’s biggest obstacle has been chasing balance. As a result, he works in imbalanced life cycles between family and music, spending six to eight months producing and the rest tending to family, loved ones, and health.
8) One of Wolfgang’s biggest musical inspirations is hip-hop icon Timbaland.
9) He sings on Medicine — the first time he’s used his own vocals in over 20 years.
10) It took Gartner 10 years of producing to sell his first song. And he sold it for $300.
11) The Wolf is a cat guy.