The 1999 set that Tiësto calls his ‘big breakthrough’
Before ID&T became the global giant that is is today with the likes of Tomorrowland and Sensation events as dance music landmarks, the organizers had an early yet dominant presence in the Netherlands and Belgium. One of their original festivals, Innercity (which eventually came to a close in 2006), was then one of their standouts. Its 1999 inauguration was monumental for Tiësto (then still known as DJ Tiësto) who headlined along with acts such as Carl Cox, Sven Vath, and Jeff Mills.
It’s not easy to think back to an era and see Tiësto as an up-and-coming artist seeking a big break, but his set from Innercity, live from RAI Amsterdam, captures that time period — and to much pleasure, comes fully loaded with trance. An interview following the performance features a quote (below) that won’t fail to intrigue his present day fan base and, even more so, puts this live set into context with his career.
“That was my big breakthrough in Holland. After that show everyone in Holland knew me. It was the first big rave in Holland. It was 30,000 people, it was all over the news, all over the television, and I played one of the best sets of my life. And after I stopped playing I was so happy I started crying. I had finally made it, you know.”
01. The Quest – C Sharp
02. DJ Tiësto – Sparkles (Airscape Remix)
03. Mario Piu presents DJ Arabesque – Serendipity (Mas Mix)
04. Christian Smith & John Selway – Move!
06. Andy Ling – Fixation (Airwave Remix)
07. Major League – Wonder Where You Are (Live Vocals by Carmen van den Brakel)
08. Mario Lopez – The Sound of Nature (Plug ‘n Play Remix)
09. S.O. Project – Direct Dizko
10. Zombie Nation – Kernkraft 400
11. Starfighter – Apache
12. System F – Out of the Blue (DJ Commie Remix)
13. Transa – Supernova
14. Balearic Bill – Destination Sunshine (DJ Tiësto’s Power Mix)
15. Rank 1 – Airwave
17. Twilight – Platina (Maurits Paardekooper Remix)
18. Spoiled & Zigo – More & More (Instrumental Mix)
19. Hand’s Burn – Good Shot
20. Alibi – Eternity (Innercity Mix)
20. Des Mitchel – Welcome To The Dance (Part 2)
21. Airwave – Alone In The Dark
Editor’s Note: Tiësto soon after released a compilation album in memoriam of the event entitled ‘Live at Innercity,’ which does include the live set and can be purchased here.